The Library is a connector for Kalkaska community engagement and a cultural necessity for our region to thrive. Here, when you walk through our doors, you’ll find more than just books. Think of us as the community’s living room—comfortable, welcoming, a place to belong.
ACTS: Food and clothing. 8925 M-72, Williamsburg, MI 49690 | 231-938-2990
Affordable Connectivity Program: Discounts for home internet, computers, and laptops
American Red Cross: 735 Garfield Ave. #B100, Traverse City, MI 49686 | 231-947-7286
Bethany Christian Services: Counseling services. 1055 Carriage Hill Dr., Traverse City, MI 49686 | 231-995-0870
Child and Family Services of Northwest Michigan: Counseling services and teen shelter. 3785 Veterans Dr., Traverse City, MI 49684 | 231.946.8975
Common Sense Media: High quality, family-friendly media reviews for parents and educators
Community Lighthouse: Food and clothing services. 430 West State St., Mancelona, MI 49659 | 231-587-9967
District Health Department, Kalkaska County: Family health services, including WIC.
Father Fred Foundation: Food pantry and clothing. 826 Hastings, Traverse City, MI 49686 | 231-947-2055
Good Samaritan Family Services: Food pantry and family emergency services. 9746 Main St., Ellsworth, MI 49729 | 231-588-2208
Goodwill Northern Michigan: Housing, jobs, and food services for low-income & unhoused people. 1-844-900-0500
Health Department of Northwest Michigan: Family and community health services.
- Consumers Energy’s Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy (CARE) https://www.consumersenergy.com/residential/programs-and-services/payment-assistance/care-program
- DTE Energy’s Low Income Self-Sufficiency Plan (LSP) https://newlook.dteenergy.com/wps/wcm/connect/dte-web/home/billing-and-payments/common/energy-assistance/low-income-self-sufficiency-plan
- TrueNorth Community Services’ emPowertm heat and energy assists people struggling to afford their utilities and deliverable fuels bills in Michigan
- You can apply online by clicking this link: http://tnempower.org/apply/ . If you cannot apply online call 231-355-5880 for assistance.
- Northern Michigan’s Energy Assistance Directory (https://heatingmyhome.org/northern.html)
KAIR: Food pantry, utility and heat assistance, and resale store. 324 Cedar St., Kalkaska, MI 49646 | 231-258-0060
Mancelona Food Pantry and Resale: 201 North Maple St., Mancelona, MI 49659 | Phone: 231-587-9606
Michael’s Place: Grief support and counseling. 1212 Veteran’s Drive, Traverse City, MI 49684 | 231-947-6453
Michigan 211: Call 2-1-1 to connect to thousands of nonprofits and government assistance resources in your area. Call or text 211 or visit their website for more information.
Michigan Voter Information Center: Get a sample ballot using your unique voter information, check your voter registration, find your polling place, request an absentee ballot, register to vote, and more!
Michigan Works: Employment and resume help.
National Confidential Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Available 24 hours, 7 days a week
North Country Community Mental Health: Counseling services. 625 Courthouse Dr., Kalkaska, MI 49646 | 231-258-5133
NW Michigan Community Action Agency: Family services, housing assistance, Meals on Wheels. 3963 Three Mile Rd., Traverse City, MI 49686 | 231-947-3780
Pregnancy Care Center: Pregnancy services. 121 S. Garfield, Suite C, Traverse City, MI 49686 | 231-929-3488
Salvation Army: Thrift store, donation center, family services. 1225 W. South Airport Rd., Traverse City, MI 49686 | 231-946-4644
SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders – 1-800-662-HELP
- To find substance abuse or mental health help in your area use the search box on this page, entering an address, a county, or state. For more information on how to use this search, watch a video tutorial with additional help and details on how to use this search tool to find local behavioral health treatment options.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Veterans, Active Duty, and Military Families Behavioral Health Treatment Locator
Teen Health Corner: 419 S. Coral St., Kalkaska, MI 49646 | 231-258-7791
Upsolve: Free bankruptcy assistance for low-income families.
Women’s Resource Center of Kalkaska: Domestic and sexual violence agency. 605 N. Birch St., Kalkaska, MI 49646 | 231-258-4691